Friday, December 30, 2011

Jane Market Bags 10 & 11

Dave asked me if, after 10 bags, I was an expert.  The answer is unquestionably no.  This folky bag for my Aunt Gin is a perfect example of my imperfection.



To begin with, Connecting Threads sent me a bum batch of fabric.  I ordered 1/2-yard pieces because they work perfectly for the 18 x 7" panels, but for this order every piece was a scant 17".  I have yet to write my annoyed email to the company.

So I had to scale everything down to 17", and while I'm sure no one else noticed, it bothered me.

Then I made a bad cut while removing the 4" squares from the lining and of course I was cutting two pieces at once.  I ended up Frankensteining the thing back together with a sloppy zig-zag stitch.  I figured it was ok for the lining, but if the bag was for you (Katie) or my mom or anyone else who would notice tiny sewing details, I would have scrapped the whole thing and started over.

Anyway, my Aunt Gin was thrilled, so I guess in the end it was a success.

The last bag of the Christmas season was for my brother.  I tried to pick boy-friendly fabrics that he wouldn't be embarrassed to carry to and from the grocery store.  Well, it was a waste of time because he didn't even acknowledge it, but maybe he gave it to his girlfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment