Thursday, March 21, 2013

Modern Chevron Babies

Here is the quilt I made for wee Elizabeth, back when we didn't know she was a girl and in fact, were kind of planning on a boy.  I stressed a lot that the quilt was too girly, so after the little dance I did for Katie when she was born, I did another little dance for lucky me.



I bought a light yellow minky for the back and an organic cotton for the batting and nearly had the whole thing quilted before I remembered that I didn't need a batting for a minky-backed quilt.  So it turned out a little thicker and stiffer than I had intended, but I guess it's ok for a play mat.


And, because I'm a creature of vicious habit, I used the same pattern for Ainhoa's baby's quilt.  Who vexed me by coming a week and half early, so now the quilt is nearly a month late.  

I didn't use a batting this time - he's a Texas baby, after all - and backed it with an elephant gray minky. I went gray because I thought I'd be overdoing the blue otherwise.  

I found that awesome Alexander Henry zoo print at JoAnne's, but realized too late that this chevron pattern is not great with medium to large scale prints.  It's still pretty cute, but there are very few blocks where an animal is not chopped off.  

I also regret using a white sheet for my white bits instead of investing in proper fabric.  It was ok for Elizabeth's quilt because the batting made it less visible, but with the gray backing here the seams really jump out.  



And yes, that big turquoise chevron is left over from your Target sheet.  I think I still have some left, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment