Against my better judgement, I decided to make my brother a set of placemats and napkins for his birthday. I saw this linen napkin tutorial via Pinterest and figured I could easily make a matching set of placemats.
I happened to mention the project to my mother, who told me not to bother making anything out of linen for Grant - he doesn't have an iron.
So I sent him an iron for his birthday.
On with the project. Grant has a red wall in his dining room, so I tried to pick colors in the same family. I also decided to get a thin batting for the placemats because the linen + color seemed too thin.
Unfortunately, I hadn't thought the math through very well and didn't have enough colored fabric to make backs for six placemats and 14" square napkins. So I had to do a traditional binding on the napkins, which gave them a kind of bulky edge but other than that worked out fine.
The woman who wrote the tutorial used the words "quick" and "simple" when describing this project. I think, just like life isn't as wonderful as people make it out to be on Facebook, projects aren't as simple as they seem on blogs. The little trick she does to fold the colored piece around the linen at the corners is a downright bear.
So in the end, the placemats came out a little wonky, but I'm hoping he'll chalk it up to homemade charm and not shoddy craftsmanship. I also had enough color fabric left over to make a few small potholders.
Next year remind me what a pain this project was and how little my brother appreciates anything I make before I go and craft something else stupid.
No comments:
Post a Comment