Monday, January 9, 2012

The Purple People Eater

I'm never going to get a chance to take a picture during the day, so I might as well just post these night shots. I finished up the Herringbone Quilt last night. I sewed the first 2 strips together and NONE of the seams lined up so out came the seam ripper. When you cut the blocks, I think there is an "up" and a "down" and after I started puzzle piecing the layout some of them got switched around and caused some of my issues. The only way to proceed was with the horizontal sashing. I think it turned out nicely in the end. Although, I'm determined to make another and have it all one piece. Maybe it will be a good stash-busting project for me.

For the backing and the binding I used a purple starbust I bought at the shop in Frankenmuth - where most of the other purples came from. The greys all came from my stash, actually from a purchase for a quilt I made for Jenny for her bridal shower.

I quilted along the lines of the herringbone pattern, and then around each big block. Here it is all folded and ready to be boxed up and shipped in time for the shower. Yes, that is 2 of the same fabrics matching up together at the bottom. Damnit. You would have thought using 12 different fabrics I wouldn't have had any troubles with the same ones finding each other, turns out I still did.

To finish the package off I made a little stroller blanket. I couldnt imagine cutting into such a pretty print so I just lined it with some fusible fleece batting and popped a big piece of white minky dots for the backing.

I sewed them right sides together, left an opening to turn it right side out, and then top-stitched around the perimeter to finish it off. I also tacked it down with a little starburst stitch (which you can see on the red flower in the last photo) about every 5"-6" so it wont pull apart in the middle.



3 comments:

  1. The purple one looks great, even with the sashing! And the matching pieces are small, no one will notice. I love that you used the same fabric as Jenny's quilt, too.

    I LOVE that bird fabric! That stroller blanket is fantastic, so comfy and super cute. Did your machine make the starburst stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. You're right, that would have made super cute pillows as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the machine did that stitch, I just had to watch to make sure it didnt start chaining another one in with it (which might have happened a few times). When you see the new duvet I got at the Anthro sale, you'll have to let me know if you think I need another yalf yard of the bird fabric for some pillows :)

    ReplyDelete